You probably know that breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast is a habit of people who maintain a healthy weight, plus eating breakfast helps to give you energy and focus all day long and keeps your metabolism running. But who has time to fix an elaborate breakfast every day? And as the weather heats up, the idea of eating a steaming bowl of healthy oatmeal loses some of its appeal!
Try this recipe for a breakfast smoothie.It has fruit for good carbs (which give you energy), vitamins and fiber. Greek yogurt, which is full of protein and calcium. Oatmeal (yes, just put right in the smoothie!) for more good carbs and soluble fiber which can lower cholesterol. You can use any type of juice, but I chose to use tart cherry juice because this can help reduce inflammation and help with muscle recovery after exercise.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup tart cherry juice (or whatever type of juice or liquid you like)
- 1/2 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks, or other frozen fruit
- 1 small-medium banana
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Sweetener of choice: artificial sweetener (adds no calories or carbs), or 1 TBSP honey (adds 65 calories ad 16g carbs), or 1 TBSP agave nectar (adds 60 calories and 16g carbs), or 1 TBSP sugar (adds 49 calories and 13g carbs)
Put all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.