Breakfast sandwiches are an easy option when you get them from the drive thru, but are loaded with calories, fat and salt. When you make a breakfast sandwich at home, you can use healthier ingredients, but it can be time consuming. This recipe combines the best of both – eggs you can make ahead and reheat in the morning, paired with healthy and delicious ingredients. Instead of using sausage and cheese on the sandwich, which are full of saturated fat, we have substituted avocado, which is full of heart-healthy fat and fiber, but adds the same creaminess as cheese. This is a quick and filling breakfast that you can take with you on the go. With the addition of any of the optional ingredients, you can keep the taste different and interesting every week of the year!
Baking the eggs ahead of time is both a time saver on busy weekday mornings and makes for a neat sandwich that can easily be eaten on the go. Using whole grain bread provides you with high quality carbohydrates you need to get you going in the and the eggs will give you plenty of protein to stay feeling full all morning. Toss in some veggies for even more health benefits. Using sliced avocado in place of cheese is a great way to substitute heart healthy fat for saturated fat. Here’s how to tell if your avocados are ripe. If you don’t have any fresh avocados, just substitute some store-bought guacamole.
DIY Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- A few drops hot sauce, more or less to taste
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional, any one or combination of these:
- Fresh herbs such as basil, oregano, dill, tarragon, chives
- Chopped veggies such as spinach, tomatoes, garlic, onions
- ¼ cup grated or crumbled cheese such as cheddar, Parmesan, feta, goat
- ¼ cup chopped meat such as ham, turkey or chicken sausage, Canadian bacon
- 8 slices 100% whole wheat bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8”x8” baking pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with waxed paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, mustard, hot sauce, salt & pepper. Mix in any optional ingredients
- Pour egg mixture into pan, bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until eggs are set. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Cut eggs into 4 squares and remove from pan. Eggs can be made in advance and stored in refrigerator for several days until ready for use.
- To assemble sandwich: toast bread, then put egg square and avocado on toast. Warm the egg square for a few seconds in the microwave before assembling sandwich.